Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Out of the desert comes a storm

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobby's Pants
Citizen
Citizen
Bobby's Pants

Out of the desert comes a storm Empty
PostSubject: Out of the desert comes a storm   Out of the desert comes a storm EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Hello all, as promised here is the rain team that has proven to be solidly built and simple for me to use. The title references the irony of my using a rain team while living in a desert. As I alluded to in my edit in the metagame discussion, this team is based around keeping up offensive pressure while using rain to reinforce that. So with that in mind, let us begin with the team building section:

teambuilding:

On to the individual analysis.

Out of the desert comes a storm 186
Politoed @ Choice scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Nature: Modest
- Hydro pump
- Ice beam
- Hidden power [grass]
- Perish song

The obvious glue to any rain team, I went with a choice scarf variant because I knew this team would be more offense oriented and I wanted the added speed over power. Since it has a hit and run nature, perish song is useful against stall teams and set up sweepers who try to use him as fodder. He makes a great revenge killer and though I often start with him he should never stay in unless he can OHKO in the beginning of the match.

Out of the desert comes a storm 596
Galvantula @ Life orb
Ability: Compound eyes
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Thunder
- Bug buzz
- Energy ball
- Hidden power [ice]

I knew I wanted something to abuse perfect accuracy thunders, but I didn't want the drawback of the inaccuracy outside of rain since I couldn't always guarantee that I would have it up. With compound eyes raising the accuracy of thunder to usable levels, I figured Galvantula would be my best bet. He has good super effective coverage and has been fast enough for my needs and overall a very reliable team member and prominent sweeper. His moves and EVs are standard sweeper fare, with a Timid nature to maximize his high speed. Generally he stays in until he gets KOed because of his frailty and enough speed to outpace many traditional threats. As a bonus he resists many forms of priority such as bullet punch and mach punch, though that won't save him if he has taken damage.

Out of the desert comes a storm 376
Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Stealth rock
- Meteor mash
- Bullet punch
- Earthquake

Bulky utility attacker and stealth rock setter, Metagross has the added benefit of having essentially one weakness under rain. He is my safest switch in for dragons, and extremely useful. He is capable of sweeping after an attack boost from meteor mash and earthquake provides excellent neutral coverage. Max attack and an attack boosting nature give him a very high and often overlooked 405 Atk stat, and boosting his HP to the max gives a surprising amount of bulk. He is excellent at coming in and setting up rocks as not many people think to try and taunt him and even if they do they have a powerful physical attacker to deal with.

Out of the desert comes a storm 479-w
Rotom-W @ Choice scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Thunder
- Hydro pump
- Volt switch
- Trick

Replacement revenge killer for Krookodile. With Politoed as my only water type I figure I can afford a second. I already have ice beam and hidden power [ice] on my other special attackers and hidden power [fire] would be useless in rain so I decided to go with volt switch for momentum in place of a coverage move. Trick allows him to cripple walls, hydro pump gets double STAB and thunder is a very powerful STAB with perfect accuracy under rain.

Out of the desert comes a storm 149
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SpAtk/4 Speed
Nature: Rash
- Hurricane
- Aqua tail
- Extreme speed
- Roost

I wanted to abuse hurricane's intense power and Dragonite is much sturdier than Tornadus. In addition he also gets pseudo STAB on aqua tail and powerful priority in extreme speed. Roost with multiscale is standard fare, allowing him to be a bulky wall breaker.

Out of the desert comes a storm 640
Virizion @ Life orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Nature: Jolly
- Swords dance
- Leaf blade
- Sacred sword
- Stone edge

Not only does he provide a great switch for Tyranitar who make the mistake of trying to crunch, much like Metagross he loses his fire weakness and is the best thing to deal with some usual rain stops such as Gastrodon or Gyarados. While he doesn't normally last too long when coming in, even without a swords dance he is capable of blowing holes in the opposing team.

Conclusion
I have been very successful with this team due in part to smart switching and excellent coverage on my attackers. There isn't much this team can't handle, though Latios could easily pose a problem if you are not careful and letting the opponent set up could be devastating. The key is constant offensive pressure, if you lose that then this team will fall apart.
Back to top Go down
Extroph
Noble
Noble
Extroph

PostSubject: Re: Out of the desert comes a storm   Out of the desert comes a storm EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Nothing to actually changed here. This team has flow, coverage, and a great variety of attacks to ensure a win. Great job on this one Bobby.
Back to top Go down
Khybon1
Citizen
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: Out of the desert comes a storm   Out of the desert comes a storm EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 9:29 pm

The only thing that i see wrong with this team is the Lack of a Special Wall. YOu have Metagross for Excellent Physical Defense. From Personal Epierience i would recommend

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Calm Natured
252 HP 88 Sp Attack 168 Sp Defense
Ice Beam
Yawn/Scald
Recover
Protect/Toxic

I would highly recoomend this set it has pulled me out of many binds before
Back to top Go down
Floatzel98
Citizen
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: Out of the desert comes a storm   Out of the desert comes a storm EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:30 am

another good team. i think you can use a modest nature on rotom since you are using the scarf and even once you trick it you won't be missing out on too much speed. on virizion change sacred sword to close combat. it has much more power. you could also change stone edge to HP ice and run naive, because otherwise gliscor will be able to run rampant and other dragons. it 2HKO's gliscor and hit's dragons harder
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out of the desert comes a storm   Out of the desert comes a storm Empty

Back to top Go down

Out of the desert comes a storm
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Vulcan Battlefields :: Rate My Team-
Jump to: